Friday, March 30, 2012

Down Wit Dat: Winner of About.com's Reader's Choice Best Special Needs Parenting Blog

You have to admit, some mornings are better than others.

After another late night with the babies, I awoke this morning to find my phone blinking insistently at me.  "Now what?"  I thought, as I clicked it on, expecting the worst.  What I got instead, was this:

Photobucket
[Enter nonsensical w00ts and squeeing here]

You can imagine how my outlook changed dramatically after that.  :)

I would like to thank each and every one of you that voted for Down Wit Dat.  Tirelessly, without fail, you took the effort every day to vote for our little blog.  Whether you are family, a friend, an online friend, a colleague or a fan, I want you to know how much I appreciate your efforts.  Thank you.

This experience has been like no other.  I've found support in the oddest of places.  I've had backwards walking-down-the-hallway convos at work ("By the way!  I love your blog!  I vote for you every day!") from people that I only smiled at before.  I've been contacted by parents of kids with special needs (other than Down Syndrome).  I've heard from people who don't have children or even know what a blog is.  Advocacy, much like politics, makes some strange bedfellows.

Through this blog, I have met and talked to many people in the special needs community.   We have shared our stories and learned from one another.  We have laughed and cried together.  It has been overwhelming at times,  it has threatened to make my heart burst at others.   I have witnessed the true strength of the human spirit and it has given me hope.  What started out as a little signal fire that I could warm myself by has grown.  Now, I share it with many. 

Once again, I thank you.  I plan to continue to spread awareness and foster inclusion.  I hope you will continue to be there with me. 

2 comments :

  1. Oh mama I am so so SO happy for you! No one deserves this more...you are a true superstar. Congratulations from your Irish family across the sea <3 D & Miz G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Congratulations on a very well deserved win! Yay!!
    Leah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.

Although discussion is encouraged, disrespectful or hurtful dialogue will be removed.

Spam will be fried up with a side of tomatoes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...