Saturday, October 1, 2011

Happy Down Syndrome Awareness Month!

When the smoke cleared after the twins birth and I decided to become a vocal advocate for Down Syndrome, I began looking up a few things.  Is there an official ribbon?  Is there a day, a week, a month dedicated to Down Syndrome?  Are there any particular functions associated with this?

I was happy to find via numerous online sources that my favourite month, October, was Down Syndrome Awareness month.  I was a little miffed shortly thereafter as I discovered that this is only in the US.  Canada, it seems, does not recognize October as Down Syndrome Awareness month (or any month for that matter).  It has a week, from November 1-7 th.  October is recognized officially for the following:

Autism Awareness Month, Brain Tumor Awareness Month, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Canada Library Month, Car Safety Month, Child Abuse Awareness Month, Community Living Awareness Month, Community Support Month (Ontario), Eye Health Canada Month, Foster Family Month (British Columbia), Fundraise for Farley Month (Ontario), Innovation in Eye Care Month, Investor Education Month, Islamic History Month, Learning Disabilities Awareness Month, Lupus Awareness Month, National Flu Prevention Awareness Month, National Occupational Therapy Month, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Awareness Month, Celiac Awareness Month, Women's History Month, Healthy Workplace Month.

Several of these do in fact relate to Down Syndrome, but I don't see "Down Syndrome" listed there.  I'm hoping it is a simple oversight as it is the most common genetic disorder.  (Seriously, Library Month?)

I even looked at the rest of the year.  Nothing.  Not even March, where World Down Syndrome Day is March 21 (3-21 or Tri-21, get it?)  Nada.  No love for Down Syndrome.  That's pretty damn sad, Canada!

I have chosen, in honour of Down Syndrome Awareness Month (US), to participate in the fifth annual 31 for T21 Blogging Challenge.  Every day, for the month of October, I will be blogging to raise awareness.  I will continue to do so for November 1 - 7 as well.  Over one month of solid blogging!


It's a daunting task to be sure, but I have a plan.  In order to keep it easy, I've dedicated days to certain Down Syndrome related themes and will blog accordingly:
Medical Mondays
Teaching Tuesdays
Wyatt's Day (Wednesday)
Therapy Thursday
Factoid Friday
Story Day Saturday
Family Day (Sunday)
Wish us Luck!  Happy Down Syndrome Awareness Month! (Regardless of where you may reside.)

1 comment :

  1. Wow, I always new about the November 1-7th in Canada, I just assumed we celebrate Awareness in October as do the USA. Who can we petition to try to have it recognized for a month here in Canada.

    I have a son who is now 19 with Down syndrome and I'm embarassed to say I didn't realize this until now, and I'm appalled that Canada can't even designate a month for Down syndrome Awareness !!!
    I have posted this on my Facebook page and hope people see this and want to do something about it.
    Sincerely,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.

Although discussion is encouraged, disrespectful or hurtful dialogue will be removed.

Spam will be fried up with a side of tomatoes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...